Loading...
Our History2018-07-20T13:46:45+02:00

Our History

On 23 July 1918 “Dominee” Jozua Naude’s dream was fulfilled and an Afrikaans medium school, which provided mother tongue education, was opened.  In 1918 the school consisted of 161 learners.  The following primary schools seceded from Jozua Naude: Ondekkers School (1941) Roodepoort-West (1942) Gustav Preller (1954) and Horizon (1970). At the end of the sixties our school had a record number of 1225 learners.  The previous principals were Mr. J E Rossouw; J H Barnard (Oom Ampie); L C Joubert; B Van Staden and P F Coetsee, Mr. GSJ Barnard (retired) While our current Principal is Mr M.F Hlatshwayo.

Our school was originally named Roodepoort-Noordskool and later known as Roodepoort-Afrikaans medium school. On 22 September 1956 the school’s name was changed to Laerskool Jozua Naude as a tribute to DS Jozua Naude for the part that he played as founder.

Since 1 January 1999 our school achieved parallel-medium status in the Foundation Phase and our first English Grade 1 class was implemented.  

From 1 January 2009 our school transformed to an English Medium Primary School.

Come Visit or Call Us

Ds. Jozua Francois Naudé

A little more info on our founder and namesake. 

Jozua Francois Naudé (Middelburg, Cape, March 20, 1873 – August 27, 1948) was first a teacher, but then a minister and leader in the Dutch Reformed Church.
Naudé receives his education in Stellenbosch after which he is going to teach. When he broke out of the Second World War, he acted as field preacher, especially at genl. CF Beyers, on whom he exercised a strong influence, [1] and only after the war continued his studies at the seminary in Stellenbosch. At the end of 1909 he was legitimized and in the next year he confirmed in his first congregation Goedemoed, a labour colony in the South Free State opposite the Orange River near Aliwal North. He only stayed two years here, because in 1911 he was confirmed in Roodepoort. In 1919, after the year before the Afrikaner Broederbond helped rise, he left for Piet Retief, where he remained until 1921 and then appealed to the NG congregation Graaff-Reinet, where he would work for the next 27 years until his death. Here he insisted on the application of the Language Ordinance with responsibility for the establishment of the Higher Volkskool.
According to the author of Naudé’s death report in the Dutch Reformed Yearbook for 1949, “the Lord blessed him with precious gifts of mind and heart.” When he spoke about a case, it was “always good day”. He therefore took a leading role in ecclesiastical meetings and served in important commissions. For a while he was also a member of the Council of Churches, the forerunner of the General Synod of the Dutch Reformed Church in the days when the four provincial synods were still separate churches.
In 1948 Naudé was appointed acting actuary. However, he died unexpectedly on 27 August 1948 at the age of 75 when he was still a minister at Graaff Reinet.

From Rev. Naudé is said to have had a “friendly personality”, which reflected his piety. ” He performed his life work with devotion and faithfulness. His son, Beyers, was also a NG minister and a prominent campaigner for equal political rights for all South Africans and a daughter, Hymne Weiss, a writer and translator. She was born on Goedemoed.

Ds. Naudé’s descendants Milde Weiss revealed a book in Lighthouse in 2014 about his life.

Our school, Jozua Naudé Primary School in Roodepoort was founded and named after him.